Subject: Re: emulation for mac os X server binaries on macppc?
To: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/07/2000 14:24:17
On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, David Wetzel wrote:

> is it possible to use commandline one apple macos X server binaries?

Not yet, but it should be feasable. And I think it'd be cool. :-)

Two things need doing:

1) We need to teach NetBSD how to load the file format used by MacOS X
(which is hopefully the same as Darwin). I think it's based on what NeXT
did, so maybe the next68k folks can help.

2) We need to set up an emulation environment for these programs. That
would mean a new emulation in sys/compat, and we'd need a table of what
the MacOS X system calls are.

Then we walk down the list and see if the MacOS X system call matches a
NetBSD one exactly. If so, we just map it in. Otherwise we write a glue
function to map things back and forth between what NetBSD does and MacOS X
does.

Take care,

Bill