Subject: Re: PCI serial card support?
To: Cliff Neighbors <cliff@allegronetworks.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/06/2000 16:26:55
On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Cliff Neighbors wrote:

> I need to add 2 serial lines to my G4 "sawtooth" running netbsd-macppc
> (the 20000606 snapshot).  the macppc FAQ mentions USB serial
> support but no mention of PCI serial.  PCI serial cards
> are mentioned in the "Machine-independent PCI drivers" page.
>
> Q: can these "universal" comm cards be expected to work OK on netbsd-macppc?
> comments on favored cards would be helpful.

Kinda. I assume that they show up as "com" devices - normal PC serial
ports?

If so, then they will work.

The problem will be that we don't have terribly good MAKEDEV support.
tty10 will drive one of these serial ports, and you can manually make more
such devices.

I think, though, that we should name the com tty's something other than
tty10 & up. Like ttyC0, ttyC1, etc. - a la port alpha. Thoughgts from the
audience?

Take care,

Bill