Subject: Re: Boot install on baige G3
To: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/06/2000 12:00:54
On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Chris wrote:

> > Next I tried gunzip netbsd-GENERIC_MD and placing it on my MACOS Harddrive
> > ok> boot hd hd:5,netbsd-GENERIC_MD
>
>     Is hd the proper name from devalias? I would think it was ide0. Did you
> run System Disk and set things correctly?

boot hd will boot macos if it's on the drive. You have to have the
firmware booting something which will look for the kernel. Grab
ofwboot.xcf and try "boot hd:5,ofwboot.xcf" and see if that gets you into
ofwboot.

>     IIRC correctly, this machines OF cannot boot ELF format kernels
> directly. You must first download and boot ofwboot.xcf (with load size set
> to 600000 right?) then at the next prompt try boot ide0:5, netbsd-GENERIC_MD

I think it's still 6c0000, though I think I had to make it 600000 to get
new kernels to boot on my OF 2.0 beige G3.

Take care,

Bill