Subject: Re: mount zip disk?
To: Bill Connell , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/17/2000 00:17:26
on 6/16/00 3:22 PM, Bill Connell at connell@bitstream.net wrote something
like:

> can you mount and use a zip disk under netbsd as a regular scsi disk? i've
> tried mounting a msdos-formatted zip disk twice - the first time gave me a
> hard system lock (i ended up reinstalling after a screenful of fsck
> errors), the second time just gave me "device not configured" errors.

    All Iomega hardware is evil I tell you! I haven't met many people who
were totally pleased with any Iomega hardware. Zip drives in particular have
rather poor SCSI implementations IMHO.
    Did you try using disklabel sdX to see what the partitions were first?
mount_msdos /dev/sdXe /mnt should work. On i386 it's sdXf, but I think all
other ports MSDOS partitions are on e.

> i assume i can't mount an hfs volume (right?), but i can't find any
> documentation specifically addressing zip drives. jaz drives are supposed
> to work, but i don't have one to try (though i think i'll hook up my orb
> drive to try that).

    Nope <poke's gurus>, there is no HFS support and no plans on the horizon
to add it AFAIK. It could probably actually be stollen (creatively acquired
I mean, gotta be PC) from Linux PPC.

> it seems like zips worked under linux, but i can't remember if that was
> related to a utility or just system functions. tia for any help

    I've only used Linux Live v4.0 and I don't recall if it worked or not.
It did work under BeOS IIRC, maybe it's a bug in scsipi.

    Chris