Subject: Re: Speaking of booting NetBSD...
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: russell muetzeleldt <russm@webtime.com.au>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/15/2000 15:49:44
On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Martin Husemann wrote:

> Is there some kind of bootselector available? I'd like to boot my mac via
> network to NetBSD, but sometimes need to boot the MacOS from hard disk.
> Ok, I understand how to do that with OF (but couldn't do it yet, no serial
> cable available), but there has to be a more comfortable way.

it depends on what model mac you have... the new UMA machines have one in
firmware (altho i've found it unreliable unless all OSs are on the same
drive on the primary IDE controller)...
since you're talking about serial cables though, i expect you have
something older... you should be able to use BootVars to set your Open
Firmware to boot off ether from within MacOS, and if needed Cmd-Opt-P-R
will get you back to MacOS... setting up diskless booting is covered in
the port-macppc faqs IIRC...