Subject: RE:
To: 'Mike Bush' <mike@ieaccess.com>
From: Greg Kritsch <greg@evertz.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/05/2000 13:52:24
I really can't give much advice: I know basically nothing about Macs.

I loaded ofwboot.elf via DHCP/TFTP boot in OpenFirmware.  Then I loaded the
install kernel by DHCP/NFS from ofwboot.elf.  That got me through to the
point of asking for distribution sets.  At that point I discovered that the
onboard ethernet isn't supported by the kernel, so I burned the install
files onto a CD-R and installed that way.  (Then I added the kernel file
itself to the ISO image, called myself stupid a few times, and burned the
new image onto a CD-RW).  After poking around for a bit I added a D-Link
ethernet card (deX driver) and the machine has been running more-or-less
happily ever since.

Caveats:

If you partition your drive, the install software seems to do the wrong
thing, in that it automatically assigns /usr to partition h, then allows you
to assign your first user-defined partition as g, then your second user
defined partition goes on h, overwriting /usr.  So I just fixed that up by
hand in the install program, putting /usr on f.

I tried loading the kernel over the network for a while, rather than off the
local hard disk, and that got me stuck ignoring ohci interrupts while in
polled mode.  There's a thread about that problem already in the archive.

There's a couple of messages in the archive that will tell you where to get
a working kernel and install kernel for the G4.  The 1.4.2-release did not
work for me at all.

Gregory