Subject: Samba?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: None <Greg_Evans@condenast.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/02/2000 14:00:53
I should probably really be posting this to a samba list, but I figured someone
here might know the answer....

I have set up samba on a 7300/180 as well as Appletalk...Appletalk works fine
and shows up via the chooser on any Mac that I attempt to access it from.  Samba
on the other hand _appears_ to quit with a gethostbyname: can not resolve host
name error

so I went into /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/ and loked at the samba .sh file

and see something similar to (not exactly as I changed them slightly)

smbd=/usr/pkg/sbin/smbd
nmbd=/usr/pkg/sbin/nmbd

if [ -f ${smbd} ]; then
        /bin/echo -n ' samba'
        ${smbd} -D -s usr/pkg/etc/smb.conf
        ${nmbd} -D -s usr/pkg/etc/smb.conf
fi

I try to start them by hand with

# smbd -D -s /usr/pkg/etc/smb.conf
# nmbd -D -s /usr/pkg/etc/smb.conf

and while they appear to _start_  they immediately quit  and the log showed a
Get_Hostbyname error I believe it was...

anyone know anything about this? It seems to work at home where I have no NT PDC
 but not here at work where  do have a PDC/BDC, etc.

thanks

Greg