Subject: Slow disk reads and anon cvs troubles.
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Reilly <mjreilly@inch.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/26/2000 11:21:16
Hi everybody,

I'm running 1.4X on my C500/200, 32M RAM and the stock Western Digital 2G
IDE drive, 2 Dayna NICs (they can use tlp or de).

I've noticed that I get substantially faster writes than reads when using
ftp or netatalk. I compiled a kernel with soft-updates enabled and now I get
400-500K/sec when writing but only 50-70K when reading. When I write is goes
in one continuous stream but reads come in fits and starts. I get the
following messages when I start a read:

tlp1: transmit underrun; new threshold: 128 bytes
tlp1: transmit underrun; new threshold: 160 bytes

And when I start a write:

tlp1: receive error: MII error
tlp1: receive error: CRC error
tlp1: receive error: MII error
tlp1: receive error: MII error
tlp1: receive error: CRC error

I get the same messages with both the tlp and the de drivers. Is there a way
to find out if this is a disk issue or a ethernet issue?

Also, I seem unable to log on to the anoncvs server. My .cshrc reads:

CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot

but when I log on I get:

cvs login: can only use pserver method with `login' command
cvs [login aborted]: CVSROOT: anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot

I swear it did work once but then wouldn't let me check anything out.

cheers,

Matthew Reilly