Subject: WindowMaker color problem
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Tyler Mitchell <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/24/2000 16:35:55
Hello,

I recently discovered the fascinating package system and used it to
install WindowMaker 0.62.1.  There is a problem, however.  Everything
installed fine, dependencies were built and installed, and wmaker.inst ran
fine.  But when I start WindowMaker, the colors look horrible.

My setup:  NetBSD/macppc 1.4.1 userland / 1.4.2 kernel running xdm, Linux
computer running "XFree86 Version 3.3 / X Window System (protocol Version
11, revision 0, vendor release 6300) Jun 2 1997".  I use the Linux
computer to log into the NetBSD computer with: "X :1 -query netbsd -bpp 16"
It doesn't matter whether or not I put the X server into 16-bit color or
use the standard 8, it still looks quite bad.

I run WindowMaker locally on the Linux computer (exact same X server, but
a lower version of WM) and have had no problems with colors yet.

I tried to make some sort of screenshots with X (it's my first time doing
this, so bear with me):

	http://www.mts.net/~fission/windowdump-8bpp.xwd.gz
	http://www.mts.net/~fission/windowdump-16bpp.xwd.gz

The background is the default background because I cannot seem to make the
background change to a gradient of some sort.  In my .xsession-errors file
I see some messages like this:

	wmsetbg fatal error: could not initialize wrlib:

Notice, however, that I did manage to get an image for a background with
the 16bpp image - I am not sure whether this is possible in the 8bpp one.

I'm not too sure what's up in 8bpp mode, but in 16bpp mode it looks like
its having a real hard time dithering colors.  Yikes.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

--
Tyler Mitchell