Subject: Re: X Server
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/24/2000 14:34:24
At 11:01 AM -0700 5/24/00, Bill Studenmund wrote:

:)> I tried this, but my screen turned off.  Then again, I only have a
:)> non-multisync LCD.  Has anyone actually gotten this to work?
:)
:)Yes, I got it to work on my B&W G3. The thing is you have to choose a mode
:)your hardware will support. :-)
:)
:)Did you do a getmode before hand? I believe "getmode ." will show you the
:)current mode. Then you can set the machine back to it even if the screen
:)dies.

Yes, I did.  I found that everything except the 1024x768 and the current
mode were listed as disabled and I had to 'enable-videomode'.   In that
case, I guess it just doesn't turn the LCD on after it changes resolution.

In any case, a power-cycle will return it to the video mode that MacOS last
left it in.

Seems like it's not really worth mentioning in the FAQ if it's not permanent.

  -- MW