Subject: Kernel build request...? (Thanks in advance!!!)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/20/2000 22:43:21
Hi, all.

I just noticed that the GENERIC kernel seems not to have this option:

     options NFS_BOOT_BOOTPARAM
     Enable use of the BOOTPARAM protocol, consisting of RARP and BOOTPARAM
     RPC, to get configuration information if NFS is used to mount the root
     file system.  See diskless(8) for details.

This would be pretty useful to me, since I'm having trouble getting the
iMac I'm trying to netboot to know what its root device is supposed to
be. Maybe I'd have more luck with this than with dhcpd.

FWIW, it seems like "stuff" says to use bootpd, but this also is lacking
in the GENERIC kernel.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

A quick summary: I can get the box up to where it's successfully loaded
a kernel, and the kernel does all its probing but then falls over when
it can't figure out what its boot device is...

Here's the same server netbooting a SPARCstation IPC using rarp/bootparams:

nfs_boot: trying RARP (and RPC/bootparam)
nfs_boot: client_addr=0xa000005 (RARP from 0xa000001)
nfs_boot: server_addr=0xa000001
nfs_boot: hostname=ipc
root on acheron:/obj/netboot/ipc/root
root file system type: nfs