Subject: Re: Netbooting an iMac...
To: None <stu12915@westga.edu>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/20/2000 21:48:32
On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 09:40:49PM -0500, stu12915@westga.edu wrote:

> I found that the only way to get the PowerBook to use the proper root
> path (rather than /) was to use ISC DHCP 2.x _instead_ of BOOTP.

Hm. I couldn't get the iMac to snag an address from my dhcpd... It would
send out a request, receive an address, and seemingly not see it. I'll
give it another try, though, since I'd much rather use dhcpd anyway.

I'm specifying more in dhcpd.conf now. I'll give it another shot.

> The problem I still have though (and have about given up on) is loading
> the GENERIC_MD kernels.  When I try to boot one, it simply locks up the
> PB (w/netbooting) or just gives an "input/output" error (using CDROM).
> Thus I have no method of installing NetBSD since the kernels that I can
> boot lack sysinst.

That's pretty weird... Tell ya what... If I can manage to get the iMac
booted, I'll build kernels for you 'till something works. (I have had
ZERO luck cross-compiling, and there's no macppc cross-build package
in any event...)

Anyway, I'll try dhcpd again now and see how it goes. One thing that I
don't particularly like about bootpd is that I don't believe it's possible
to specify that it *not* listen on a particular interface. Annoying.
dhcpd has no such problem.

--
Mason Loring Bliss             (( "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  )) build  their nest  with fragments  dropped