Subject: Re: Netbooting an iMac...
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: None <stu12915@westga.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/20/2000 21:40:49
While I still haven't been able to get everything working, I thought I
would point out this little tidbit.  I'm not sure about NetBSD, but on
my FreeBSD 3.1 server, I found that the only way to get the PowerBook to
use the proper root path (rather than /) was to use ISC DHCP 2.x
_instead_ of BOOTP.  Using DHCP I managed to get the PB to load the
kernel, mount the proper root path, and actually run as diskless NetBSD
system.

The problem I still have though (and have about given up on) is loading
the GENERIC_MD kernels.  When I try to boot one, it simply locks up the
PB (w/netbooting) or just gives an "input/output" error (using CDROM).
Thus I have no method of installing NetBSD since the kernels that I can
boot lack sysinst.

Anyway, you might look in to DHCP (the configuration isn't much more
complicated than BOOTP) and see if it makes any difference.

--
Edwin Rudolph
stu12915@westga.edu