Subject: Re: installing netbsd on B&W G3 system (pciide:0:0: lost interrupt
To: Rick Roche <rick_roche@hotmail.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/11/2000 16:04:42
On Thu, 11 May 2000, Rick Roche wrote:

> Seeing "pciide:0:0: lost interrupt" error when trying to install netbsd on
> local hard drive.
>
> Background:
>
> I'm trying to install netbsd 1.4.1 on a G3 400 system.  I followed the
> instructions from Rob Billings posting on 9/20/1999 "Installing on B&W G3
> (and other floppyless Macs)".  Very helpful (except for the typo in the boot
> command:)  Thanks Rob!).

I don't think it'll work too well.

We have a problem that the NetBSD initialization code for the CMD 646, the
ide controller used for the primary ide HD, doesn't know how to undo
something in the setup ofw uses for this chip. Thus if you have Open
Firmware touch the drive, NetBSD can't use it.

I thought we'd gotten this into the FAQ...

Take care,

Bill