Subject: Re: installing netbsd on B&W G3 system (pciide:0:0: lost interrupt error)
To: Rick Roche <rick_roche@hotmail.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/11/2000 18:03:22
Rick Roche wrote:

>My system has two ide buses.
>
>- first is labelled ultra ata and has the hard drive on it.
>- second is labelled ide and has the Matshita CD and zip drive on it.
>
>- I tried unplugging the second bus, but I still go the error.
>- Next, I put the hard drive on the second bus (where the cd was) and
>everything worked.  I was able to do the first step of the install and it
>completed initializing the disk.  I got stuck after that because I had no CD
>drive (with the rest of the installation:).
>
>- I'm going put the CD drive at the other bus id and retry.

Rick,

I see the same thing on my 400Mhz G3.  The disk on the first bus seems to
give timeout errors in 1.4.2 that weren't there with previous versions of
NetBSD.  The disk on the second bus seems to work OK.  In my setup I have
a disk on both buses, one for MacOS and one for NetBSD. If I wait long
enough NetBSD will finally stop bitching about the timeouts on the first
disk (which contains MacOS), and I can complete the installation of
NetBSD.  From there it works fine.

-bob