Subject: installing netbsd on B&W G3 system (pciide:0:0: lost interrupt error)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Roche <rick_roche@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/11/2000 10:09:48
Seeing "pciide:0:0: lost interrupt" error when trying to install netbsd on
local hard drive.

Background:

I'm trying to install netbsd 1.4.1 on a G3 400 system.  I followed the
instructions from Rob Billings posting on 9/20/1999 "Installing on B&W G3
(and other floppyless Macs)".  Very helpful (except for the typo in the boot
command:)  Thanks Rob!).
NOTE: the boot command is "boot hd:5,netbsd-GENERIC_MD"

The steps for me where:
1. gunzip netbsd-GENERIC_MD.tgz into netbsd-GENERIC_MD

1a. get the netbsd-GENERIC_MD onto the mac (I used ftp via browser)
2. Put netbsd-GENERIC_MD onto root of the hard drive (I dragged and dropped
it on the HD icon)

3. Reboot and invoke open firmware.  hold command-option-o-f keys.

4. at the o> prompt issue: boot hd hd:5,netbsd-GENERIC_MD

5. hit shift at terminal type prompt to avoid bug?!?  I did this just to be
safe.

- At this point, I get an option choice of install, shell, etc.

- I choose install and I get another option menu with install netbsd on hard
drive, upgrade netbsd, install sets and kits, etc.

- I choose install to hard drive and I get the following error:
  pciide:0:0: lost interrupt

The system has one hard drive on the first ide bus.  There is a CD-ROM and
Zip drive on the other ide bus.

Any help or feedback on where to look would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick