Subject: Re: PowerBook G3 Installation
To: Edwin Rudolph , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/07/2000 21:42:37
on 5/7/00 8:27 PM, Edwin Rudolph at stu12915@westga.edu wrote something
like:

> I have managed to get much further in netbooting my PB G3, and can
> actually boot the kernel and mount everything over NFS.  My problem now is
> actually installing NetBSD locally.  Where is sysinst?  I read some
> messages from a few months ago about using the netbsd-GENERIC_MD kernel,
> however I haven't had any luck booting with those.  For one, the boot
> loader seems to only be able to handle non-gzipped kernels.  I've tried
> unzipping them, and they will start to load (the little indicator/spinner
> thing) but locks up after a few seconds.

> Thanks :)

    For clarification, which PB G3 is this and what version of NetBSD are
you trying to install? As for the GENERIC_MD kernel, what are you using to
gunzip the image? I've had bad experiences with using Stuffit expander to
gunzip non-Mac files. MacGzip or Suntar might be better options although
I've never tried either. sysinst should be in this image once you have
booted it. You don't (shouldn't) need to mount the root or usr by NFS;
sysinst and the needed binaries should be in the GENERIC_MD image. At least
I would think so. On pmax the install kernel runs sysinst automagically as
soon as the kernel is done booting.

    Chris

--

Murphy was an optimist.