Subject: Re: iMac and NetBSD 1.4.2
To: Jeffrey Flowers <sikak43@gateway.net>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/26/2000 22:43:45
> According to the NetBSD/macppc Model Support Page, iMacs are support via
> netboot or kernel on HFS. The Install Notes says it's only netboot
> compatable. I scanned through the Install Notes and I saw no mention of
> booting from kernels on HFS.

Kernel booting from HFS is doable but is tricky enough to be very annoying.
I have worked out a hybrid netboot/diskboot setup using 1.4.2, but it is
quite klunky and I don't recommend it.

Better methods are being worked on, but they aren't ready for prime-time yet,
so the install notes don't talk about them. Things will generally work a lot
better when 1.5 is released.

> Please tell me which it is and if there is any documentation or success on
> getting NetBSD up on a iMac.

Netbooting instructions can be found here:
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/tech/netbsd_imac.shtml

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com