Subject: Re: 10/100 ethernet cards - followup
To: Donald Lee <donlee@icompute.com>
From: Rod Morehead <rmore@rmore.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/21/2000 00:33:51
Donald Lee writes:
 > I'm still trying to get a 10/100 PCI ethernet card that works.  Of the
 > ones that are listed as supported on the URL:
 >
 > 	http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#peripherals
 >
 > there appear to be three types: Tulip-compatible, 3Com, and
 > NE2000-compatible PCI cards (de, ep, and ne drivers)

**snip**

 > Am I going about this all wrong?  It seems like this should not be quite
 > this hard.

In my experience trying to locate a tulip based card is difficult
because what has historically happened is that vendors started with a
real DEC Tulip chip, but after a while switched to a cheaper tulip
knock-off (like the Lite-On).

So I would read on the internet that such-and-such a brand used a real
DEC chip, buy it, and then discover it was something else.

I would go to someplace with a very large selection of ethernet cards
and open boxes until I found one with a chip that says "Digital 21140"
on it (actually there are several numbers that the driver should
support). Of course if you want MacOS support your options may be more
limited.

If you don't care about MacOS support then I would just check the
return policy and buy the cheapest with a Digital (DEC) chip.

In my case it was a first generation 10/100 Asante. Since then they
have switched to a non-Digital chip and that was probably the source
of your problems.

The Mac DEC based 10/100 PCI Asante part number is 09-00169-01.

I noticed Small Dog <http://www.smalldog.com> has a few Asante 10/100
cards (don't know which generation) but if you call them I'm sure they
can tell you which Asante part number they have.

Thanks,

-- Rod