Subject: Re: Newbie first install on 9600/200 (success!)
To: Erik Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Guy Santiglia <robin5153@yahoo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/20/2000 01:17:25
Thanks for your comments,  I switched machines to 8500/180 and
put the 1.0.5 patch in there and set the parameters
to "ttya     ttya" instead of "kbd    screen"  and when I
rebooted I saw the open firmware on the monitor connected to the
8500.  However I was expecting it from the serial port. (go with the flow)
I told the open firmware "boot fd:0"
then I put the boot.fs floppy in the drive.  And it was bootin time.
That sysinst was great.  They never did get that working on
the 68k macs.
The install went great from that point. (Thank god for DSL and FTP)

When I tried to reboot from the newly instlled system it wouldn't boot.
I managed to get back into open firmare and after trial and error
found the command to make boot from the internal scsi drive:

boot  scsi-int/@sd0:0

Thank you to the people who worked on this port.  It really went smooth.

I have a few questions:

This machine has two network jacks.  I used the RJ45 jack for the install
so I know that one works, but what about the <...> jack will that one
work with the same tranciever that I use on my quadra 610?

Will the mouse systems A3 track ball work with this machine?

What 10/100 pci network card is known to work with this?

Is this macppc port as stable and useable as the i386 or mac68k
ports?

    Thanks,
          Guy