Subject: Re: Booting from a CD
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andy <andy@softbook.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/11/2000 10:19:12
>Hi,
>
>Andy <andy@softbook.com> wrote:
>
>Andy> Does anyone know why the newer mac firmware is capable
>Andy> of booting from a iso9660 image or msdos or hfs image
>Andy> on the harddrive, but is not capable of booting from
>Andy> iso9660 or hfs (mkhybrid) image on an actual cdrom ?
>
>Actually, it does.  Try the below on Open Firmware console.
>I use this on iBook.
>
>boot cd:,ofwboot.xcf (or ofwboot.elf)
>
>Note that there's a comma `,' after the colon `:'.

I tried that
That syntax works fine for hfs and msdos images on the harddrive but does not
seem to work for the cdrom. I have even copied a is9660 image to the beginning
of the harddrive and was able to boot from that, but from the actual cdrom.
it gives one of two messages, one given even for non-existing files about
unrecognized image and for "boot cd:0,ofwboot.elf" unable to load file.
something about load-size=0.

Regards
Andy