Subject: Re: Performa
To: Dallas <dallas@thorazine.org>
From: Erik Winkler <ewinkler@erols.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/29/2000 22:24:46
The NuBus powermacs (X100 series) were a kludge by Apple to get a new
processor equipped machine out the door.  They aren't 100% 68k
hardware(you need to install SIMMs in pairs) and they aren't 100% powerpc
hardware(no open firmware).  Kind of a mix.  The Performa line suffers
from the same problem, only a few levels worse because of the short cuts
taken to reduce cost.  With the exception of the 6360, this series can't
boot any  Open Source Unix available today.   The 6100-7100-8100 can at
least boot MkLinux.  Maybe someone will solve the problem, someday.

Erik