Subject: Re: Installation on Apus A3000
To: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/28/2000 22:59:37
On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 01:43:14AM -0500, Chris Tribo wrote:
>     For kicks you might try the OF 1.0.5 patch that fixes video in OF due to
> it not having enough time to reset the video controller.
My Apus has OF2.0, so is this neccessary/does it make sense?

I looked around for OF2.0 patches (e.g. on the Umax sites) before
but since I found nothing I moved on.

> > * OpenFirmware can't boot from IDE. Don't know why... (gives weird
> > error messages I don't remember right now.)
> > NetBSD has no problems with the interface; I used it to shovel the
> > binaries and sources on the Apus from my i386 with an old IDE harddisc.
>
>     You might try the Apple System Disk Utility from the developer ftp
> server under macosxserver. You can't seem to boot anything from IDE without
> it on Beige G3's (OF 2.0f1)
I need MAC OS for this, but I removed it completely...
(I "zerod" the empty space in the MAC OS filesystem (copyied a file
containing zeroes until the disc was full), gzipped the complete image
of the harddisc and stored it somewhere just in case I may need it one
day...)

I just had a look at the tutorial Michael announced in the other mail
and it says It needs System 8.0 or higher - but I only have 7.6.1. So this
is a no-go anyway for me, isn't it?

> > * OpenFirmware can't boot from SCSI if the internal (SCSI) CD-ROM drive
> > is connected. It does SCSI-Reset-something and then hangs.
>     Your OF may be one of the versions that you have to have boot-device set
> to the same thing as the command you are trying to boot with, else it
> doesn't work. Someone was working on a list of these gotchas by OF
> version...
No, I have tried it with setting boot-device to (from memory) scsi/sd@0:0
or something like that as I have it now. (I tried nearly everything...)

> > As you may guess it was a really big PITA to get NetBSD on this machine.
> > Especially since it has no onboard NIC and the latest current-snapshot I
> > have used didn't support PCI NICs like the ex, epic, rl or vr I have lying
> > around or could borrow from one of my other boxen.
>     You could probably get a hold of a Tulip based card from Ebay for a few
> bucks if you don't need to netboot the machine. Otherwise, I think Asante,
> 3COM and maybe Microsense are the only NICs that have OF support available.
> (I'm just guessing, if anyone knows this would be good FAQ / OF FAQ info)

1. Such kind of Apple hardware is hard too find and too expensive for me
here in Germany (even when bought used).

2. I already have enough PCI NICs that are supported by NetBSD/macppc
(but not by the GENERIC and INSTALL kernels of NetBSD/macppc)

Now I have my custom kernel so I can use one of my "standard" 100BaseTX PCI
NICs. But it would have saved me some hours if the GENERIC/INSTALL kernels
had support for them too. (I would not have been forced to do this harddisc
swapping multiple times.)

--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.