Subject: Re: Booting from a slave drive? (was master/slave on Beige G3)
To: Henry B. Hotz <Henry.B.Hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/29/2000 21:15:07
on 2/29/00 1:43 PM, Henry B. Hotz at hotz@jpl.nasa.gov wrote:

> At 10:16 AM -0800 2/29/00, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>> At 9:10 PM -0800 2/27/00, Chris Tribo wrote:
>>> Does anyone know how to boot from a slave IDE drive? Unfortunately I
>>> can't seem to figure out how to boot a slave drive, and OF keeps looking on
>>
>> I haven't looked at the ide syntax in OF, but seems like it should be
>> something like the scsi syntax.  Try something like ide0/@1:.....
>> ^^
>> In other words put the device number in the same place the scsi syntax
>> would use.  Let me know how it works.

    I've tried a bunch of different things to no avail. OF does not (ever)
list the slave drive in the device tree even if I go through and manually do
a bus reset and probe-device. Whatever numbers I seem to try it always
reverts back to the master device (the Matshita CR-585 in this case). If
NetBSD can do it right, why can't OF. Is this likely an OF 2.0f1 problem?
Anyone here have a revision 2 Beige G3 (the one that does support
master/slave) that could quote their OF version and possibly dump their
entire device tree to see if I can come up with something different besides
the faster ATI chip?
    Just so I know, is the SCSI syntax something like scsi-int/[device
id]:[LUN],[partition number] ? If you can figure out what the ATA/IDE syntax
is that would be helpful. Another thought: Has anyone tried attaching a disk
manually in OF with make-child-of or something like that?
    I'm going to try some boot magic with a boot floppy and passing -a to
see if I can boot the slave HD from the floppy booter, thus letting me use
my CD again in MacOS.
    Any thoughts/insights welcome.

    Chris

--
    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."