Subject: Re: Support for ATI XCLAIM PCI card
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/27/2000 02:55:10
On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 08:36:24PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Chris Tribo wrote:
>
> >     As a general note to those reading along, I think I have figured out to
> > switch video modes/resolutions from the cards own support list. I didn't
> > actually boot NetBSD to X to see if it would work because the display got
> > corrupted. Here's what I did:
>
> [deleted]
>
> That should probably work. We leave the video card as OF left it.

For what it's worth, if you *don't* ever run MacOS (which seems to reset
the OF mode to the lowest-resolution, no matter what mode MacOS is
actually using the chip in -- grrr!) reset-nvram on many PowerMacs
(e.g. my iMac) seems to result in at least 800x600 resolution from OF.

I didn't get a chance to boot NetBSD since discovering this in order to
check if it stays that way when we boot, but the OF display itself is
definitely much higher-resolution that the default after you boot
MacOS once.