Subject: Re: 1.4.2 install notes
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/18/2000 17:22:32
On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no wrote:

> Hm, it would seem that /sys/arch/macppc/stand/ofwboot/Makefile
> has the building of ofwboot.xcf commented out.  Trying to execute
> the commented-out command results in:

You should compare them with the code in current, I don't think it's
exactly the same. For one, xcoff and ELF have different expectations of
the start of the code segment. ELF expects the code to start there, but
XCOFF (well COFF) expects the address of the code to be there.

So what we link together is different if we're making ofwboot.elf and
ofwboot.xcf.

> gravensten# objcopy --input-target=elf32-powerpc --output-target=xcoff-powermac ofwboot.elf ofwboot.xcf

i.e. in current we use ofwboot.mrg as the input to the above line, where
ofwboot.mrg is a different ELF file than ofwboot.elf. :-)

> objcopy: ofwboot.xcf: Invalid bfd target
> gravensten#
> gravensten# objcopy --help
> objcopy: supported targets: elf32-powerpc elf32-powerpcle netbsd-core srec symbolsrec tekhex binary ihex
>
> Looks like a toolchain issue -- objcopy and/or libbfd not being
> built with a sufficient list of targets?

Yes, we had to add aixcoff-rs6000 to libbfd's target list too.

Plus, there's the problem that the output of objcopy above isn't a valid
bootable XCOFF file. There are some entries in the header which aren't
filled in. Thus the fixcoff program in -current.

Take care,

Bill