Subject: Re: 1.4.2 install notes
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org, Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@ee.cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/14/2000 00:04:49
On Sun, 13 Feb 2000 Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no wrote:

>      If you want to boot from the network, you can use
>
>              boot enet:0

On older machines (such as my 8500), it's only 'boot enet'.

>      Note   Older Macintosh machines' OpenFirmware may not have support for
>             FILE FORMAT NOT RECOGNIZED".  In that case, you need to use an
>             XCOFF boot loader, named "ofwboot.xcf".  Once that boot loader
>             runs, it can boot the normal ELF kernel just fine.

I only found one instance of ofwboot.xcf on ftp.netbsd.org, dated Feb 6,
2000 (version 1.2).  Is there any reason this isn't in the 1.4.2_ALPHA
set?

In any case, it doesn't work -- My 8500 downloads the XCOFF bootloader,
and attempts to load the kernel, but never passes the file name of the
kernel to the host tftpd.

Any ideas?  Once I get this working, I'll (finally) fill in the dhcpd
section of the diskless how-to.

  -- MW