Subject: Re: UniNorth Bridge chip
To: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/11/2000 14:09:04
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Dan Winship wrote:

> > Our pci code (and I think Linux's also) doesn't support that. I spoke with
> > Jason, though, and the alpha PCI code has supported that since day 1. So
> > we can get things working with native (non RTAS) pci support. :-)
>
> Until the next time Apple switches PCI chipsets, at which point,
> LinuxPPC would already work with it, and we'd need to add more hacks.

The problem though with not doing a direct support is that we expect to be
able to do pci config operations well into boot. That doesn't work well
with quiescing (see below).

> Plus, adding RTAS support also wins us nvram access and the ability to
> beep. :)

Well, the problem is that we're also supposed to shut things down when
we're running, by quiescing OF. As I understand it, THAT requirement
shoots down nvram access and beeping. :-(

Take care,

Bill