Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD off a CD (using OFW)
To: sanjayl <sanjayl@iqmail.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/10/2000 17:48:28
On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, sanjayl wrote:

> This relates to NetBSD-1.4.1 on a G4-400 MHz machine.

I assume from the fact you've booted that this machine has the old
chipset?

> Until now due to the pciide0 timeout issue, I have
> been booting off the network.  I recently managed to
> burn my own custom CD-ROM containing:
>
> My kernel (netbsd)
> ofwboot.elf
> ofwboot.xcf
> ofwboot.mrg

you don't need the .mrg file. It is an elf-format intermediate file used
in the creation of the .xcf (XCOFF) version of the file. It is NOT a
usable ELF file.

> However, I cant get the thing to boot from open firmware.
> I have tried the following values for boot-device to no
> avail:
>
> setenv boot-device ide0/disk@0:ofwboot.xcf
> setenv boot-device ide0/disk@0:0,ofwboot.xcf
> setenb boot-device ide0/disk@0:/ofwboot.xcf
>
> Any hints/help would be greatly appreciated.

First off, try the elf version. At least with version 2 (and 1 I think)
OF, you have to set the load base variable correctly when using XCOFF. ELF
doesn't have that limitation.

ide0 is the controller which has the cd rom on it?

The newer OF seems much better about aliases. Try cd-rom or cdrom. You can
find out which by doing:

dev /aliases
.properties

and you should see it.

The only other ideas I have are cd-rom:1,ofwboot.elf or cd-rom,ofwboot.elf
or cd-rom:,ofwboot.elf.. i.e. not partition 0..

Take care,

Bill