Subject: G4/450 Boot
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Jason M Varner <jv09177@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/05/2000 15:59:01
I have a G4/450 Sawtooth, and would like to use NetBSD. Before I commit
to buying a SCSI HD, I would like to know whether it boots BSD. So far,
I have tried the following:

- use suntar to write boot.fs to a Zip disk, and boot through OF with
"boot zip:0"

- boot from internal IDE with boot ide0:0,netbsd (renamed
netbsd-GENERIC_MD) and boot hd:0,netbsd

- boot from internal IDE with boot ide0:0,ofwboot.elf and boot
hd:0,ofwboot.elf

In all cases it refused to boot, usually something like this:

0 > boot ide0:0,ofwboot.elf
<something about not supported> loadsize=0 adler32=0 (?)

LOAD-SIZE too small

0 >

I have very little experience with Open Firmware, so it is likely that I
am doing something wrong. If I am doing everything right, I would be
happy to help with support for the Sawtooth boards

Thanks,

Jason