Subject: Re: Co-existance of NetBSD and Mac OS: Is it possible?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/04/2000 16:20:23
> I think you can, though the tools aren't fully there yet - it's still a
> very manual thing to do.

I've actually been trying to set this up on my new hard drive...

Problem one is that there's no NetBSD Mac partition editor, although
MkLinux's "pdisk" works. (Although the interface sucks.)

Problem two is that there's no way to tell the kernel that you changed
the partition map on disk, so you have to reboot a lot.

Problem three is that the "mac partition converted to disklabel
format" generated internally by the kernel doesn't have all the
information you'd want, so you have to explicitly specify "-t ffs" to
newfs.

Problem four is the same as problem three actually, but harder to deal
with: the kernel won't swap to a partition on the fake disklabel. I
haven't gotten around to figuring out exactly what it doesn't like
about them yet.

(Related to problem four is kern/9101, which you should look at,
because it's your fault. :-)

So the support is not quite there, but it's close...

(In the "winning" department: After creating the partition map under
NetBSD (and then rebooting to make the kernel notice it), I hformatted
the HFS partition in it, hcopy'ed in ofwboot.elf, and am able to boot
from it from OFW.)

-- Dan