Subject: How to find errors
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andy <andy@softbook.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/21/1999 09:59:47
I'm a newbie and one of the most daunting things so far has been looking at
the error messages that make spits out and figuring out what it's not happy
with.
When building a  large project where there's a lot of configuration and
make files involved, what's the best way to pinpoint which script is being
executed at the time the error occurred ?
Case in point: I'm trying to build a cross compiler and get the  following:

bash-2.03# make
===>  Building for cross-powerpc-netbsd-1.3.0.0
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/pkgsrc/cross/powerpc-netbsd/work/binutils-2'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/pkgsrc/cross/powerpc-netbsd/work/binutils-2.'
gmake: `as-new' is up to date.
test -x /usr/pkgsrc/cross/powerpc-netbsd/work/ar || cc -O   -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/libc
test -x /usr/pkgsrc/cross/powerpc-netbsd/work/ld || cc -O   -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/libc
cc -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC    -O  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAIFA
-Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib \
  version.o obstack.o alloca.o    -lld
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open -lld: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake: *** [cccp] Error 1
*** Error code 2

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

How would one go about finding in which make file the error occurred ?
I'm looking for a general approach as well as help in this particular case.

Thanks in advance

Andy