Subject: Re: Booting from a file on the internal hard drive
To: fission <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/17/1999 15:14:51
On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, fission wrote:

> The subject says it all: if I have a file (for example, "boot.fs") on the
> local hard drive, shouldn't I be able to do a:
>
> boot hd1:boot.fs
>
> And shouldn't it boot?  I tried this on a PowerBook G3, but it didn't
> work...

As others have noted, boot.fs is a disk image, not a bootable file. :-)

Also, the syntax varies from version to version. For versions 1 & 2 of OF,
it's disk:filename . In version 3, it's disk:partition#,name.

For instance, ofwboot.xcf on a floppy would be:

fd:ofwboot.xcf in 1 & 2, and (something like) fd:,ofwboot.xcf in 3.

Take care,

Bill