Subject: Re: G3 233 DT Zip Drive & G4 Netboot
To: Rob Ballantyne <ballanty@sfu.ca>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/14/1999 21:58:23
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Rob Ballantyne wrote:

>   Hello All,
>
>   I finally got back to trying to make NetBSD(macppc) to work on an old
> machine and I've had some success.  In fact it's now fully functional
> expect for one aspect: no zip drive.  To get it to install I had to do
> a couple of things.  1. Remove memory and then rebuild a kernel so that
> I could use the original amount of memory and 2. so that it booted at
> all I unplugged the zip drive.  I've still not found a way to leave
> the zip plugged in and have the machine boot properly.  Any advice?

SCSI or IDE Zip?  If it's SCSI, no idea.  If it's IDE, we've had that
problem with MkLinux (which uses NetBSD's drivers).  The workaround in
that case is to make sure that no two ATAPI drives share a single IDE bus.
So we just have people hook up the Zip as a slave to the HD instead of as
a slave to the CD-ROM.  Not sure if it applies to NetBSD or not, but if
not, then I need to take another look at your IDE driver.  :-)

No clue at all on the G4 question....

David