Subject: Re: PM 7200 support issues
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@paclink.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/11/1999 17:17:26
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> wrote:

> I have a book which describes the specific differences in the 601
> as compared to the standard PowerPC architecture, and it looks like
> it won't be that hard to fix things up.  [Chuq -- I should photocopy
> the relevant sections for you]
>
> Also, at least a couple of developers (Chuq Silves <chs@netbsd.org>,
> and myself <thorpej@netbsd.org>) have 7200s (though mine is currently
> in storage right now -- I'm in the process of moving :-)
>
>  > Just to be more specific (and hence, correct) I suggest changing the
>  > last sentence in the FAQ answer to, "The 7200 is not upgradeable and
>  > so NetBSD will not work.  NetBSD will work on the 7500 unless you buy
>  > a third-party processor upgrade."
>
> Well, I hope to fix this soon.  I'm looking for a new project to help
> pass the time of my 2 x 1.5 hour train commute each day :-)

Oh well, I was going to start asking if anyone wanted to trade a
II, a IIci, and a 6100/60AV for a 7200.  I figured I might be able
to get the 7200 going, but the 6100 was probably way over my head.
Now that some gurus are working on it, I guess I won't bother
asking.

Would it be next to impossible to poke through the mklinux sources
and sort out what it would take to get a 6100 to boot?  I suspect it
might be, since there is no OF, and no PCI, etc...

Jon