Subject: Re: Re(2): Boot problem w/ CURRENT branch (gdb etc...)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/10/1999 15:00:17
> Cool. That might explain one problem I ran into. On my Blue G3, I can't
> "halt" (drop back into OF), only "reboot". I assume that if OF gets
> returned to after a quiesce, it knows that the mappings might have been
> modified?

NetBSD does not call the quiesce method. I'm wondering if this is why
we have so many problems on the new world Macs.

Unfortunately, fixing this won't be trivial, because we currently use
OF all the way through autoconfiguration, and even after booting to do
frame buffer stuff. So this will take some major restructuring.
(First, sucking the device tree into memory at startup like LinuxPPC
and Darwin do, and second, driving the frame buffer directly rather
than through OF.)

-- Dan