Subject: Re: binary snapshot for macppc available
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: matt baker <mbaker@goldridge.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/10/1999 17:37:31
SUNAGAWA Keiki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I made snapshots for macppc and Tsubai-san put them on the
> following URL.
>
> ftp://nandra.iri.co.jp//pub/NetBSD/macppc/snapshot/19991023
> ftp://nandra.iri.co.jp//pub/NetBSD/macppc/snapshot/19991204
>
> 19991023: known to work at least iMac.
> 19991204: I didn't test it yet.  sorry, but anyway.

I've just tried the 19991204 install to see if I can get it working on my
PowerBook G3/233.  Definitly an improvement, as unlike before whenever
I firstly typed in boot fd:0 I'ld get a default catch the first time,
and then
it work the second time, it now boots okay everytime into the installer.

I'm still however seeing the network interface not configure correctly
via with
the Install area, or the configure network area in the utility menu.  It always
comes up with no route to host when trying to ping the nameserver.
However if
I firstly go into the utility menu, start a shell, and enter:
ifconfig bm0 192.168.31.51
then go back and do the network config it works fine.

Also, I've found that the installer will only recognise the internal IDE
hard disk
on this machine, and not a IDE hard disk plugged into either of the
media bay's.

I still can't however boot from the ide disk.  I'm trying:
boot ata0:0     and it just returns with default catch each time

I've also tried booting from the floppy with boot fd:0 -a
and then trying to boot from the hard disk,  any suggestions?

As an alternative, someone recently suggested using something like:
boot /path/to/HFS/partition:#,ofwboot.elf ide0/disk@0:0
If I'm trying to boot ofwboot.elf from the macos partition on the media
bay drive
what should I be using?

boot ata4:0/MacHDD:#,ofwboot.elf ata0/disk@0:0

do I need to specify /MacHDD if file is in the root directory of this drive?
should disk@0:0 be replaced with wd0a or similar?

sorry for all the questions,

thanks,

Matt.