Subject: Re: Supermac c600 troubles
To: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
From: Matthew Reilly <mjreilly@flashcom.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/06/1999 12:37:40
Dan Winship wrote:
[snip]
> I think it's more likely that the card is one of the de clones that
> doesn't work well with the de driver and needs the tlp driver from
> -current. (But that's also just a guess.)
>
> -- Dan

That sounds promising. It's a Dayna card that I got for $5.00. It works
fine under MacOS with the mac standard drivers. There is a place for a
rom on board but it is for a Novell boot rom (I think). The other card
that I tried and also didn't work was a Farralon 10/100 based on the
3com 3c95 (?) chip. It does have an open firmware rom but I have the
same problem, nothing sent or recieved. It was using the ep driver. Is
this known to work with the installer? Could this mean that the problem
is with the motherboard?

I realize all along I've been saying that the box is a c600 but it's
actually a c500, the c600 is my main box and that's what I'm used to
writing. From what I understand they are the same motherboard, only the
riser card is different. The c600 has 3 pci + 1 comm and the c500 has 2 pci.

I guess the best route would be to set up a cross compiler on my mac68k
box and compile current for the PPC with the tlp driver. Is there info
anywhere on creating boot disk images?

thanks guys,

Matthew Reilly