Subject: Re: Supermac c600 troubles
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Matthew Reilly <mjreilly@flashcom.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/05/1999 21:53:48
Chris Tribo wrote:

>    Offhand I would guess that arp and rarp are not overly pleased with
> having two MAC addresses with the same IP number, much less the same
> hostname. I've never tried it before so I don't know if it does or should
> work. Try doing an ifconfig de0 and ifconfig de1 and see if it lists
>status: no carrier for de0. If it does, than the link is down for that
card.
>The interfaces are marked up, but the link could still be down.
Checking
>netstat -i wouldn't hurt either. I spent about an hour trying to
install by >nfs on my 5000/25 and it just would not mount. I tried this
with numeric IP
>numbers and hostnames. What I did to make it work was:

The thing is that only one card, de1, is physically connected to the
network. I deleted the IP address from de0 just to make sure and I got this:

de0: flags=8c22<BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,OACTIVE,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 00:80:19:44:3f:d9
        media: Ethernet autoselect
de1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 00:80:19:44:3f:b5
        media: Ethernet 10baseT
        status: active
lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 32976
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 296
sl1: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 296

Still nothing, when i ping I get this:

PING 192.168.0.3 (192.168.0.3): 56 data bytes
^C
----192.168.0.3 PING Statistics----
0 packets transmitted, 0 packets received

No activity on the router or card lights. I'm guessing the card just
isn't working.

>     Get to where you select the install sets. Hit control-z to suspend
> sysinst. Check your ifconfig statements and make sure they are active and
> configured properly. Then NFS mount the remote file system to /mnt2. Type
>fg 1 or fg %1 to bring sysinst back to the foreground. Then pick local
> directory from the list and select /mnt2. Just an idea.

I wish i could get that far! Anything else you can think of? Thanks for
you help.

cheers,

Matthew