Subject: Re: BootX ide/OF interaction (or lack therof question)
To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@mipsys.com>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@apache.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/02/1999 13:30:12
	Sorry, yes I meant BootX 1.1.3. My suspicion is that OF does not
enable the ATA-drives as you said. My HD does not spin up in OF on a cold
boot, and the HD is shut down on reboot. I imagine that this is left for
the AAPLROM to deal with. I do seem to recall that FWB HD ToolKit's IDE
drivers did not shut down the HD on reboot. Perhaps, setting
up a small enough MacOS partition to boot macos, and use an AppleScript to
reboot would leave the ATA/ATAPI busses and drives enabled? I don't have a
new enough version to work with OS9, maybe someone else could try it. It
sort of defeats the purpose I agree, and an xcoff kernel should load with
less hassle on a smaller partition.
	Since Multibooter dissapeared I was thinking I would have to
install a SCSI drive. You mentioned the MacOSX system disk, does it
contain the OF patchs that Multibooter installed?
	The other option for Beige G3'ers is to swap out the ROM SIMM, but
that gets expensive and hard to come by. I've heard that updating to OF
2.2+ fixes the IDE troubles.

	Just thinking out loud again.

	Chris

P.S.> thanks for the info