Subject: Re: netbsd bootX
To: MAZAfsckER <green@donnelly.cc.ks.us>
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@mipsys.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/02/1999 10:34:16
On Wed, Dec 1, 1999, MAZAfsckER <green@donnelly.cc.ks.us> wrote:

>I have a kind of lame question:
>is there any possibility to install bootX or some kind of OS loader on my
>G3 266 under netbsd.
>NetBSD is the only system that is running on this box. unfortunately due
>to some bugs in OF (2.0f) I can't boot it from ide directly, that's why I
>use floppy to boot and give the 'boot' program '-a' parameter.
>
>I heard that bootX fixes that bug.

Currently, BootX can only boot LinuxPPC. It's possible to adapt NetBSD to
be booted by BootX, but I don't think it's a really good idea. It's
probably better to install the OF patches from Apple. Those patches are
installed by Darwin/MacOS X "System Disk" application and, I think (Peter
Bierman can confirm), are open sourced (Apple licence).