Subject: Re: Neat. I broke top and ps.
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/01/1999 17:44:57
Hm. New compiler, eh?

Perhaps I should back up and ask the question I really ought to have
asked in the beginning:

What is the recomended method to move from a fully operational 1.4.1
install to a -current install without any loss of data? (No, I'd
rather not have to do it through backing up "everything important" and
reinstalling, thanks, as all of /etc, most of /usr/local,
/chroot/named, and a few other things are included in the set that is
important.)

When I commented I wasn't seeing the kernel initialize my 1 meg of
backside cache on my G3 daughtercard, it was suggested I upgrade to a
-current kernel... how should I have done this without encountering
all these libkvm, bad cc, etctera errors?

(... and why is it presumed that if you're compiling -current you're
using -current? Isn't that a bit of a catch 22 for those moving *to*
-current?)

Not particularly upset (hey, the system's still up even if I don't know
what's running, right?), just puzzled. :^>

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net