Subject: Re: I need a kernel
To: None <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/30/1999 21:17:12
Hi,

> > The following ranges are always setup to be mapped:
> >
> > 	0x00000000-0x0fffffff	initial 256M
> > 	0x80000000-0x8fffffff	PCI space
> > 	0x90000000-0x9fffffff	PCI space
> > 	0xf0000000-0xffffffff	obio space
>
> While I haven't looked at the code enough to say what it is doing, the
> above mappings are only correct on certain machines. For first generation
> pci machines, I thought both "pci" busses were in the 0xf?xxxxxx range.
> Only the chipset in the Blue & White G3's started putting pci space at
> 0x80000000.

This is actually irrelevant.  It doesn't matter, if a mapping is setup
for something that doesn't exist.  The fault will be a bit different
on access to some non-existant region (you'll get a kernel page table
fault without the mapping, and a machine check with the mapping), but
you'll get a panic nevertheless.

As I said previously, the battable should be setup to map everything
except the 512M between 0xd0000000-0xefffffff.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800