Subject: ld broken in 1.4.1?
To: NetBSD PPC port <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Sweda <sweda@netcommandos.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/22/1999 14:10:09
I was wondering if the gcc distributed with 1.4.1 was fully functional
on macppc port?  I've just migrated to ppc after using the mac68k port
for 4 years, so I'm not really up to speed on the ppc history (I do
notice quite a few familiar names though).  Anyways, I'm having a lot
of trouble with shared libraries.  For example, building perl with
a shared version of Berkeley DB gives the following error when testing
the module:

Can't load
'/usr/local/perl/lib/5.00503/macppc-netbsd/auto/DB_File/DB_File.so'
for module DB_File:
/usr/local/perl/lib/5.00503/macppc-netbsd/auto/DB_File/DB_File.so:
Unsupported relocation type 10in non-PLT relocations

I've searched the CPAN archives and talked to the Berkeley DB folks,
and have pretty much narrowed this down to a problem with the linker.

Same thing observed after building a shared library version of
PHP4 apache module.  When apache tries to load it you get:

Syntax error on line 238 of /usr/local/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:  Cannot
load /usr/local/httpd/libexec/libphp4.so into server:
/usr/local/httpd/libexec/libphp4.so:  Undefined PLT symbol "acos"
(reloc type = 21, symnum = 1274)

I made a feeble attempt at getting gcc-2.95.2 to compile, but the
configure script doesn't like the unknown host system type
(macppc-unknown-netbsd1.4.1).  Which begs the question, what hoops
did you guys have to jump through in order to ship netbsd with
egcs-1.1.1, and can that same procedure be applied to 2.95.2?

So, what's the deal here?

Sean

---
Sean Sweda