Subject: user-ppp, a.k.a. ijj-ppp on NetBSD
To: port-macppc@netbsd.org <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Pawel Jaskorzynski <pawel@mw.mil.pl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/22/1999 12:18:01
After rather unsuccessfull attempts to run pppd for dialing-up (I gave
up) I got to compile and run the user-ppp package, formerly known as
ijj-ppp (or ij-ppp).
The source code is available from:
http://www.Awfulhak.org/ppp.html
This softaware was supposed to be compilable on any Free or OpenBSD
systems, and it works well under NetBSD. Thanks to this, my porting
effort ( ;) ) was limited to adding the network group in /etc/groups,
which is needed by ppp to install properly. Kernel should contain a tun
device (generic has 4 of them).

For those, who haven't used this software yet, I want to add, that it is
a nice, configurable, client or serwer side ppp, which has quite a few
nice features, like IP filter and NAT. It also has some RADIUS support,
but it looks like it needs some libraries to compile with RADIUS option.
Plus, RADIUS support implements no accounting, I think. Callback and MS
implamantaion of callback seem to be in place as well, but I haven't
tested them yet.

Wouldn't it be good to add ppp to the afficiall NetBSD package list? Or
add it to the system distribution, like in FreeBSD?

Greetings,
	Pawel