Subject: Re: Would an upgrade help me?
To: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
From: Olivier Saut <Olivier.Saut@crans.ens-cachan.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/21/1999 20:12:09
Dan Winship (danw@MIT.EDU) a écrit:

> > * I can't get my X to run at 16bpp
>
> The Open Firmware frame buffer interface doesn't support anything more
> than 8bpp.
>
> Supposedly, XFree86 4.0 has better separation of accelerator parts
> from x86-specific parts, so it may be possible to do
> graphics-card-specific support for macppc video cards some day, but
> that's probably a long way away.

Correct me if I am wrong but NetBSD 1.4 use Xmacppc which is different
from XFree86. LinuxPPC switch to a modified XFree86 with LinuxPPC 1999. And the few
times I have booted under LinuxPPC 1999 I was able to use my display at
16bpp.
This (excellent) port is quite young so I am ready to wait as I can't
help with code.

> > (* I can't find how to use a french keymap under X)
>
> Not sure about that, but that would be the same on any NetBSD
> architecture. Try looking around www.netbsd.org or asking on
> netbsd-users@netbsd.org?

In fact I can find the equivalent of the XF86Config file. But now I am
used to type QWERTY on an AZERTY keyboard so it is not vital.

> > * I can't use gdb (unbuildable from sources and packages said it is not
> >  supported on MacPPC)
>
> gdb is buildable in -current, although it's still not built by default
> because it doesn't have floating-point support.
>
> > (* several core dumped with X apps)
>
> That's fixed in 1.4.1 and -current.

Thanks!

> -- Dan