Subject: Re: that was really easy
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/17/1999 17:49:23
On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 01:54:39PM -0500, Aaron Jackson wrote:
> It's always worked for me.  I think, like with any free software, it's
> stability is limited by the number of machines the developer has access
> to.  I just mention BootX because, as far as I know, it is the only
> reliable way to boot into "another OS" on most macs.

Well, considering BootX does nothing but use OpenFirmware, it can't be
the "only reliable way"... and considering it doesn't always work, I
wouldn't call it "reliable". :^>

OpenFirmware works, why knock it?

So you have to learn about about how OF works, all the better. Why not
know what your device tree looks like to OF? Isn't that sort of
knowing where the tubes in your engine go? You don't really need to
know it to drive the car, but it's mighty handy when figuring out why
the car's making that weird clunking noise.

> Also, if you download Darwin, it comes with a MacOS boot loader which
> will patch buggy open firmware.  I think it only runs on g3s though.

I'm presuming this won't go anywhere towards patching the (old,
un-feature-rich, arguably buggy) OpenFirmware in my 7500, even though
it does have a G3 in it, though, eh? :^>

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net