Subject: Re: Getting to OF on a PowerCenter 132
To: None <darshu@hotbot.com, port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/15/1999 10:52:28
> Hello,
>
> I have a PowerComputing PowerCenter 132 machine and I've been trying desperately to get in to Open Firmware. On this machine, the default input/output devices is set to 'ttya'.
>
> I've tried to use BootVariables 1.3 and it doesn't seem to be able to write changes to the PRAM.
>
> I've also tried to use a serial cable (Mac-to-PC) and get into it with a machine running DOS using DOSTunix (a free terminal emulator) with the serial comm drivers loaded. I'm not sure if I am doing it right. I set the baud rate to 38400 with 8N1 and then open the serial port on the PC. I then switch the PowerCenter ON and hold down Cmd-Opt-O-F and wait for the prompt to show up, but it doesn't. Am I doing something wrong?

Maybe you have successfully changed the boot variables in the PRAM, since
PowerCenter's video chip doesn't support OF, so you couldn't see anything.
Try change the variables back and then the serial cable again.

Regarding the platinum video chip many of those power computing machines
use, I have seen code in MkLinux's console driver, anyone interested in
a port? I don't have the time myself...

-lq