Subject: Re: Weird OF problem
To: Cliff Crawford <cjc26@cornell.edu>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/05/1999 12:07:33
On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 08:46:47AM -0500, Cliff Crawford wrote:
> a @ b !
> This would be the equivalent of a=b in C.
> a @ gets the value of a and puts it on the stack, and b ! takes the topmost
> stack element and stores it in b.

Would that not then be the equivalent of:

b = a;

in C?

(This may seem minor, but it's a pretty big deal...)

> I don't know if this will work in OF though, it seems they've taken a few
> liberties with the language (for instance you say "setenv auto-boot? false"
> instead of something like "false setenv auto-boot?" or "false auto-boot? setenv")

mmmm... postfix.

They probably just did the high level stuff like that for easy of use,
standard Forth commands might still work. (Then again, I haven't
tried.)

While we're on the subject of boot scripts, is there a command to make
the machine wait a bit? (Equivalent to sleep().) I have my box
auto-booting, but OF wants to boot before the SCSI drive has spun up,
and it fails, so I have to come and nurse the console every time
there's a power outtage longer than my UPS lasts.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net