Subject: Re: iMac serial port/internal modem
To: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Jan Brands <j.brands@crypto.philips.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/03/1999 09:25:06
Wow, what a quick response... :-) Thanx a lot!

>ttya and ttyb are probably OpenFirmware naming conventions.
My iMac is at home, but if I remember correctly "dmesg" reports something
about devices it found called "ztty00" and "ztty01". According to the
man-pages ("man ztty") these correspond to serial ports on some particluar
chip and the corresponding special files are called "ttya" and "ttyb". But
MAKEDEV doesn't know how to make these and as I don't know their device
numbers, I can't make them myself (to see if they are what I am looking
for).

>Not
>sure which devices are right on macppc, but tty00 or ttyC0 are good
>guesses.  Maybe ttye0 or ttye1?
I'll try those, thanx.

>Hmmm.  On the other hand, is the modem plugged in with the power
>on? If not tip will bail because the right lines aren't high.
It's an internal modem. Every iMac comes with a built-in V.90 modem. It's
functioning correctly in Mac OS (haven't tried it yet in Darwin OS), so I
don't think plugging in or power is the problem. (I was also able to use it
with LinuxPPC, but I removed Linux when NetBSD/macppc came out ;-)

>You might also try :dc: in /etc/remote for the line, that'll ignore
>carrier detect.
I'll try that.

Thanx again,

     Jan